This post has been sponsored by ©2020 Cultivated Foods LLC. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
This protein-packed Vegetarian Meatball Recipe is full of flavor! The whole family will love this filling plant-based dinner, made with HAPPY LITTLE PLANTS® products and zucchini noodles. Grab your ingredients from Fresh Thyme and let’s get cooking! Click to shop now and find a Fresh Thyme near you!
My family has loved trying HAPPY LITTLE PLANTS® products! I always try to make things a little lighter and more nutrient-packed for dinnertime with the family. Oftentimes, products that we purchase as a healthier swap do not measure up at all—but not the HAPPY LITTLE PLANTS® products. This meat substitute has no preservatives, contains 20 grams of protein + 3 grams of fiber per serving, and has far fewer calories and saturated fat than competitors! Seriously, it cooks just like meat—so you have nothing to worry about.
With HAPPY LITTLE PLANTS® products, you can put it in a pan, throw it on a grill, or cook it on a campfire—if you feel compelled! Just make sure that you follow the step to coat it in oil when you add it to the pan so it doesn’t stick.
How to know when the plant-based ground is ready:
1. Place 1 tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet.
2. Heat oil over medium heat for 2 minutes.
3. Add ground meat alternative to skillet, break apart into pieces, and gently stir to lightly coat with the oil.
4. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the product reaches an internal temperature of 165°F as measured by a meat thermometer—about 10-12 minutes.
5. Use as desired in favorite recipes.
Making the ground alternative into meatballs is a great way to mix other flavors in. I like Italian seasoning, but dried parsley, basil, or oregano will also do. Crushed or pureed tomatoes add to the authentic Italian flavor.
I love to sub zoodles for pasta for extra nutrients. It’s a great way to get more veggies into family dinner. This is a filling, meatless meal for families who love flavorful classics with a twist!
- 1 package, HAPPY LITTLE PLANTS® Plant Based Ground Unseasoned
- "flax egg": 1 T flax + 3 T water
- 1/2 cup, breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp plant-based milk, such as oat milk
- 1 Tbsp, dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 20 oz "zoodles" (zucchini noodles)
- 1- 28 oz jar, vegan pasta sauce or crushed tomatoes
- Optional: chopped, fresh parsley for topping
1. If needed, drain zoodles in colander in sink, using spatula to gently press out excess water*
2. Meanwhile, combine first 7 ingredients in large bowl, and form into about 12 meatballs.
3. Place 1 tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet.
4. Heat oil over medium heat for 2 minutes.
3. Add ground meat alternative to skillet and gently stir to lightly coat with the oil.
4. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the product reaches an internal temperature of 165°F, as measured by a meat thermometer, about 10-12 minutes.
5. Add zucchini to separate skillet, and heat through, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add sauce to meatball skillet, stirring to coat meatballs.
7. Serve meatballs and sauce atop zoodles. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and enjoy!
*Zoodles should be moist, but not dripping water.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 319Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 1784mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 9gSugar: 22gProtein: 11g
We tried out the HAPPY LITTLE PLANTS® products at Fresh Thyme. Once you find your local Fresh Thyme location, you can head into the meat section and grab yourself a package to prepare the best vegetarian meatballs you have ever had! The store is clearly labeled and laid out for easy navigation. Plus, if you download the Fresh Thyme app, you will have easy access to coupons and earn rewards.
Click to shop now and find a Fresh Thyme near you! Your family will be enjoying these vegetarian meatballs and zoodles every week.