This Sweet Potato And Apple Soup really captures the feeling of a fall day! With pureed sweet potato, golden delicious apples, and leeks, it’s a perfectly satisfying soup that the whole family will love.
As autumn leaves paint the world in hues of gold and crimson, there’s nothing quite like a warm, hearty bowl of soup to embrace the changing seasons. Today, we’re diving into the essence of fall with a recipe that combines the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes and apples, creating a velvety, soul-soothing delight – Sweet Potato and Apple Soup.
This flavorful blend of wholesome ingredients captures the essence of comfort food, making it the perfect companion for chilly evenings and gatherings around the table. So, roll up your sleeves, gather your ingredients, and let’s embark on a culinary journey that will fill your home with the irresistible aroma of autumn.
Ingredients For Sweet Potato And Apple Soup
- chicken broth
- apple cider
- sweet potatoes
- Golden Delicious apples
- light cream
How To Make Sweet Potato And Leek Soup
- Cook celery and leeks in butter until soft.
- Add flour and thyme.
- Slowly chicken broth and apple cider.
- Finally, add sweet potatoes and apples. Bring mixture to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Puree mixture then add cream and seasonings.
- This soup also tastes great as a topping for turkey sandwiches!
- Feel free to get creative with garnishes. Top this soup with shredded cheese, chop apples, chopped green onions, ground cinnamon, etc.
Cooking Tips For Sweet Potato And Apple Soup
- Chop sweet potatoes and apples into small pieces so they puree faster in the blender (we used a mandolin)
- Stir constantly when adding flour to mixture. This helps to make a nice, thick soup.
- Add seasonings to taste once soup is done cooking. You can choose however much spice you want to enjoy
Whether you’re savoring this soup curled up on the couch with a good book or sharing it with loved ones around the dinner table, this comfort dish is a reminder that autumn’s embrace can be as heartwarming as it is delicious. Enjoy the season, one spoonful at a time!
This Sweet Potato And Apple Soup really captures the feeling of a fall day! With pureed sweet potato, golden delicious apples, and leeks, it's a perfectly satisfying soup that the whole family will love.
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups apple cider
- 4 sweet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 5 Golden Delicious apples, cored and sliced
- ¾ cup light cream (or half and half)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place a large, heavy saucepan on the stovetop. Turn to med-low heat and add in leeks, celery, and butter. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add flour and thyme and cook the mixture for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth and apple cider. Stir to incorporate into the mixture. Bring the liquid to a simmer.
- Add the sweet potatoes and apples and simmer mixture (partially covered) for 30 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Use a food processor, blender, or immersion blender to puree the mixture until smooth.
- Add soup back into soup pot (if need be) and add cream, plus salt and pepper. Bring soup to a simmer and stir to mix everything together.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve.
This soup also tastes great as a topping for turkey sandwiches!
Feel free to get creative with garnishes. Top this soup with shredded cheese, chop apples, chopped green onions, ground cinnamon, etc.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 483mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 5gSugar: 25gProtein: 3g