This Grilled Cheese with White Cheddar is full of bold flavors that any grilled cheese fan will love! Made with aged white cheddar, sliced red delicious apples, and fruit preserves, it’s a next-level sandwich perfect for lunch or dinner.
Grilled Cheese with White Cheddar
We love a grilled cheese in my house. And it’s fun to add new twists and flavors. Sometimes it’s savory toppings, like bacon or sun-dried tomatoes, and other times it’s sweet, like caramelized onions or fruit compote.
This Grilled Cheese with Apple recipe is sweet & tart, in the best way.
Ingredients for Grilled Cheese with White Cheddar:
4 slices, hearty Italian bread
2 tablespoon softened butter, divided
8 slices, white cheddar
1 red delicious apple, thinly sliced
½ Tbsp, stone ground mustard, divided
2 Tbsp, fig jam, divided
Spread fruit preserves (I suggest fig jam, but any variety would work) and stone ground mustard on slices of bread. Add butter to the outer sides of the bread.
For the filling, use plenty of cheese slices and thinly sliced apple (the more tart, the better). Using a grill pan or skillet, cook the grilled cheese, flipping halfway through, until golden brown on both sides.
I suggest serving with extra apple slices and more fruit preserves for dipping. Yum!
Tips for Cooking:
- I used the white cheddar slices for this grilled cheese, but brie, Swiss, or provolone slices would also be delicious. Try both and have family members choose their favorite!
- Slice the apple very thin. Red delicious is used in this recipe, but you could also try green apples or a more mellow variety, like honey crisp.
- When assembling the sandwich, add cheese to both slices of bread, with the apple in the center of the grilled cheese. This ensures that the cheese will melt throughout and the sandwich will stay together when flipped in the skillet.
- Spread the fruit preserves, mustard, and butter evenly on the bread for best results. Cover the crusts in butter for a crunchy grilled cheese.
- Fig jam is used in this recipe, but any preserve will do. Try plum, marmalade, or even mixed berry.
- Different types of mustard will give this sandwich different flavors and spiciness. Try traditional mustard, dijon, stone ground, or spicy brown mustard depending on your preference. But keep in mind that a little goes a long way, flavor-wise.
- This grilled cheese can be prepped ahead of time. Assemble sandwich, except the apple slices, and seal tightly. Refrigerate (up to 2 days) until ready to cook, then add apples and grill up the sandwich.
- Apple slices or a side salad. This dish would also be delicious paired with soup. I suggest tomato bisque!
- Serve immediately after cooking for best results, melted cheese makes for the best grilled cheese.
I know your family will love this yummy twist on grilled cheese as much as we do!
This Grilled Cheese with Apple is full of bold flavors that any grilled cheese fan will love! Made with white cheddar cheese, sliced apples, and preserves.
- 4 slices, hearty Italian bread
- 2 tablespoon softened butter, divided
- 8 slices, white cheddar*
- 1 red delicious apple**, thinly sliced
- ½ Tbsp, stone ground mustard, divided
- 2 Tbsp, fig jam, divided
- Heat up skillet.
- Spread fruit preserves and stone ground mustard on slices of bread. Add butter to the outer sides of the bread.
- For the filling, add cheese slices and thinly sliced apple.
- Cook the grilled cheese, flipping halfway through, until golden brown on both sides.
*rec white cheddar cheese, but you could also try brie, Swiss, or provolone slices-- whichever's your favorite!
**recipe calls for red delicious apples, honey crisp would also work
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 789Total Fat: 51gSaturated Fat: 28gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 141mgSodium: 1050mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 4gSugar: 23gProtein: 30g