A remarkably delicious and easy chicken curry recipe for the slow cooker.
I know, I know. It sounds a little overly confident to say this meal is remarkably delicious, but just hear me out.
I’ve tried A LOT of methods to make chicken curry. In a skillet, baking in the oven, tossing in a million obscure ingredients. And all of them tasted good… but none were particularly convenient to make.
I’m a food blogger, yes. But I’m also a work-at-home-mom, a mother to two little kids, and on and on. I just don’t have time (or the energy) to cook first-class ethnic cuisine on a weeknight. Sometimes I’ll plan to do a special, cook all day meal on the weekends, but that’s pretty much my max commitment these days. So I was determined to create a chicken curry recipe that I wouldn’t dread putting on the weekly meal plan. PLUS it had to taste as good as the overly complicated chicken curry’s I had made in the past.
To be more specific, it couldn’t taste like it came out of a crockpot. Know what I’m sayin’?
Fresh, bold, and homemade. That is what I was aiming for. And– just being honest– this is one of the best slow cooker meals I’ve ever had. You’re going to love it.
I didn’t take a lot of cooking pictures, because food in a slow cooker is not cute. Nor does it look appetizing. However, the final product?
YUM YUMS, as my one year would say.
Peas, red peppers, a creamy coconut milk & tomato sauce… it’s got everything. And it’s SO easy to make. I’ve been cooking up weekly batches of this goodness.
And guess what? The leftovers are even better.
- 4 cups, instant white rice, prepared
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1, 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 1, 13.5 oz can of coconut milk
- 1 small onion, chopped (about one cup)
- 1 red pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 2 cups of frozen peas
- 1, 14.5 oz can of tomato sauce, about 1 3/4 cup
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- a sprinkle of crushed red pepper
- optional: 1 teaspoon curry powder, I omit to make it more kid-friendly
- In a bowl, combine tomato sauce, garlic, honey, and seasonings. Set aside.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to your slow cooker. Cover with the tomato sauce/seasoning mixture.
- Cook on low 8 hours.
- Break up chicken with back of wooden spoon before serving.
- Serve atop a bowl of white rice.