Try these easy chicken fajita bowls tonight for a satisfying, wholesome meal that your family will love. Start with petite potatoes and add a few ingredients for a fresh dinner that beats take-out any night!
With two picky little kids and a husband who likes hearty meals, it can be tough to find easy, budget-friendly meals that everyone likes. What I’ve learned is to start with a wholesome base and let everyone customize it to their liking.
Take this chicken fajita bowl, for example. It’s simple, yet flavorful dish, and everyone tops their differently– which makes it a hit for the whole family!
I start by chopping up petite potatoes. They take (literally) 5 minutes to cook in boiling water, and add great texture and flavor to this meal. I love starting recipes with potatoes, especially weeknight dinners, since they cook up so quickly. Super convenient for busy nights at our house.
Potatoes are a culinary staple all over the world, which is why they work so well in this fajita bowl. Potatoes compliment any flavors you choose to use, and they are the perfect base for this easy family dinner.
I top the potatoes with shredded rotisserie chicken. You could also cook the chicken breasts, or use leftover meat. I love taking advantage of the rotisserie chickens at the store, for the convenience and the flavor!
Next, top the bowls with Mexican-inspired ingredients! We like chopped peppers (the more color, the more nutrients!), pico de gallo, and sour cream. You can swap out sour cream for Greek yogurt to get a protein boost, which is always welcome.
Serve with tortilla chips and extra pico de gallo. It’s a fiesta for dinner!
Love this steak fajita bowl?! Try these easy dinners with your family:
- 1 lb petite potatoes
- 1 lb rotisserie chicken meat, shredded
- 2 cups bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cups pico de gallo
- 1 cup sour cream , or greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon chopped green onion, optional, for topping
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, optional, for topping
- 2 cups tortilla chips, optional, for serving
- 1 cup pico de gallo, optional, for serving
- Boil petite potatoes for 5 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- Drain and chop potatoes.
- Add to bowls: 1/4 of potatoes, 1/4 of chicken, and each of the toppings.
- Serve with chips and pico de gallo, enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 320