These cookies look like a good time, right?!
-The sugar cookie recipe is egg-free and so tasty! You really should try it if your project requires you to work with the dough a lot. *cough* Christmas cut-outs…:)
Swirly Rainbow Sugar Cookies:
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Magazine
- In medium bowl whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar and beat until smooth and creamy. Beat in milk and vanilla. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour mixture by hand. Dough will be soft.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For rainbow pinwheels, divide dough evenly into five bowls, and color each with a different color liquid food coloring.
- Roll each color dough into 14 grape-sized balls.
- Combine a ball of each color and quickly roll into a larger ball. It will look like a little beachball.
- Then roll that ball between your hands and the counter or cutting board until you have a cylinder about 6 inches long.
- Starting from one end of the cylinder, roll the dough into a coil, twisting the cylinder as you go.
- Roll edges of the cookie in sprinkles.
- Repeat with remaining cookies.
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 11 minutes, or until done (fully done middle with the barest touch of golden brown on the edges).
- Let cool on a cookie rack, makes approx. 2 dozen cookies.