Looking for recipes with Eagle Brand Caramel Condensed Milk? You’ll love these Caramel Crunch Shortbread Bars. Layers of shortbread, caramel, and chocolate.
Caramel Sweetened Condensed Milk Bars
You won’t believe how easy these are to make, especially with Eagle Brand Caramel Condensed Milk. It does all the work for you.
For years I have made caramels for Christmas, and while delicious, they do require certain finesse. Candy-making is not for the faint of heart. There’re special thermometers, boiling hot sugar and so on and so on. Plus I had to heat up a can of regular Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk to get the caramel sauce that I needed for the mix.
Not with this new recipe–
Simply combine it in a pan with brown sugar, corn syrup, and butter. Stir, stir, stir over heat until well blended (no thermometer needed!) and pour over the shortbread crust.
- white sugar
- brown sugar
- corn syrup
- Eagle Brand Caramel Flavored Sweetened Condensed Milk
- toffee bits
- chocolate chips
- vegetable oil
HOW DO I MAKE CARNATION SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK CARAMEL BARS?
Just a little layering work and you will have delicious bars in no time! Mix and bake shortbread layer. Once that is finished add the caramel you made with the caramel recipe sweetened condensed milk. Sprinkle on some toffee bits, and finish off with the melted chocolate. Pop it in the fridge until solid, and viola! Layers of dessert goodness.
WHAT IS SHORTBREAD?
Shortbread, in case you guys haven’t made it before, is the easiest cookie/pie crust you’ll ever make, guaranteed. And it has a simple, buttery flavor that goes so well with literally every type of dessert. Just combine butter, white sugar, and flour, plus one egg. Shortbread doesn’t typically contain eggs, but I’ve found that it makes it just a *little* bit softer, which goes nicely in this candy bar.
Store bought candy bars just can’t touch homemade. I love how the Eagle Brand Caramel Flavored Sweetened Condensed Milk makes for a really rich caramel flavor, and provides a shortcut in my recipe. As you guys know, I’m all about shortcuts!
WHAT ELSE CAN I MAKE WITH THE EAGLE BRAND CARAMEL FLAVORED SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK?
Two things come to mind when I think of caramel: caramel apples and caramel popcorn. Make the caramel recipe shown in this post and then toss with a bag of popcorn or drizzle on sliced apples. Either way you cannot go wrong!
Perfect for neighbor, teacher, or family treats; homemade candy really makes someone feel special.
For the shortbread:
- ⅔ cup butter, softened but not melted
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1¼ cups white flour
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
For the caramel:
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- ½ cup Eagle Brand Caramel Flavored Sweetened Condensed Milk
For the Chocolate Toffee Layers:
- 1/2 cup, toffee bits
- 4 cups chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9"x9" pan with wax paper, trim two sides to fit exactly, and let the other sides hang over the sides of the pan (see above). This nonstick, square pan will help in the event anything seeps through!
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar and flour, and cut the ⅔ cup butter in with a pastry blender. Keep cutting it in the mixture until it has formed evenly-sized crumbs. (If you have not heard of a pastry blender you are going to thank me now!)
- Add the egg. Stir to combine.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of the 9x9" pan, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 20 minutes. Then uncover, and bake for another ten minutes, or until the edges turn a golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let it cool completely.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, combine the ½ cup butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and Eagle Brand Caramel Flavored Sweetened Condensed Milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly (you don't want the mixture to burn, so keep stirring). Continue stirring for 5 more minutes, then remove from heat and stir for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the shortbread crust. And place in the fridge to cool off and firm up.
- In a microwave safe bowl, mix together half of the chocolate chips and vegetable oil. Microwave for 1 minute, and then remove and stir. Continue to microwave the chocolate mixture in 15 second intervals until it is completely smooth.
- Pour chocolate over top the caramel layer, top evenly with toffee bits, and place back in fridge to cool while you make the second layer of chocolate.
- Follow the same steps to make another batch of melted chocolate, then pour over the top of the pan. Allow to cool.
- Once the chocolate has hardened, remove from the pan, peel off the wax paper, and cut into squares. Enjoy!
* These glass, nesting bowls are perfect for this recipe because you can use the exact size you need and they are microwave friendly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240
Toffee lovers, looking for other toffee recipes