I really love meals that I can take a couple minutes to prep and then the appliance does the work for me – slow cooker, Instant Pot, etc. This Ham and Corn Chowder is the perfect meal for busy weeknights or for hosting guests. Serve with crusty bread or a side salad!
chowder with ham and corn
I especially love any type of soup/stew/chowder that doesn’t have a ton of steps or prep. This chowder recipe uses some helpful shortcuts like diced ham and canned corn.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE HAM AND CORN CHOWDER:
- diced onion
- red potatoes
- chicken or vegetable stock
- diced ham (such as Smithfield Anytime Favorites Ham)
- half & half
HOW TO MAKE HAM AND CORN CHOWDER:
- Put Instant Pot on sauté and add butter until melted.
- Add diced onions and cook until soft.
- Meanwhile, chop up potatoes.
- Add vegetable broth, diced potatoes, and corn.
- Close lid and close steam valve. Set to pressure high for 10 minutes.
- When done do a quick release, carefully lift lid when steam is gone.
- Whisk together cornstarch and water.
- Push sauté on pressure cooker to allow mixture to boil. Add cornstarch mixture to pot and stir until combined.
- Add diced ham.
- Add half and half and cheese slowly, stir and serve when it has thickened a bit.
- Top with parsley & cracked pepper, serve with sliced baguette
Sometimes the day calls for an easy meal, right? This chowder feels like a warm hug at dinnertime but takes less than 20 minutes to prep. Love that!
If you are not already an Instant Pot pro, do not fret. They are so easy to use and will really help you out to get elaborate dinners (like a chowder) cooked in no time!
Start by using the sauté setting and cooking up the diced onions, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken stock and other vegetables, like corn and potatoes. Now’s the time to let the Instant Pot do its magic! Set pressure to high for 10 minutes, then quick release the steam.
Next, whisk up the water & cornstarch mixture and stir that in as well. Finish the chowder up by adding the ham, half & half and cheese. Once it is thickened up, it is ready to eat!
handy tools to easily make this ham and corn chowder:
- instant pot – pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer, sauté pan, yogurt maker and warmer and cooks up to 70% faster!
- dinner bowls – great size, nice edge to keep sauces from spilling, matches with any other dishes
Frequently Asked Questions
What do you serve corn chowder with? Crusty bread, side salad, roasted veggies, cornbread, or a sandwich are all great options.
How long can I keep corn chowder in the fridge? You can keep it for 3-4 days.
Is soup enough for dinner? Yes! Especially if you had a heavier meal earlier in the day.
This Instant Pot Ham and Corn Chowder is the perfect meal for busy weeknights or hosting guests. Serve with crusty bread or a side salad!
- 3 Tbsp, butter
- ¼ cup, diced onions (I use frozen as a shortcut)
- 2 cans corn, drained
- 3 red potatoes, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 cups, half and half
- 1-2 cups, diced ham (such as Smithfield Anytime Favorites Ham)
- For serving: chopped fresh parsley, fresh cracked pepper, crusty baguette
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 546Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 867mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 4gSugar: 12gProtein: 23g
What also makes this such a convenient, easy dinner is that you can serve it with some crusty bread and have a complete meal! You can also just take couple minutes to throw together a salad and have a meal worthy of guests.
Did this Ham and Corn Chowder hit the spot for your family? Try this Minestrone Soup and you can thank me later!
Bookmark my Recipe Page for many easy, delicious recipes that your family will love.